Saturday, December 19, 2009

On the 13th day of Christmas, Miss MEL brought to you... Green Team

A message from Mel...

"My gift is based on a brilliant idea my husband had for a useful buy cost effective holiday gift. We have a favorite drink in the winter time that Ben's family has always called "Mormon Tea". I'm not sure why, as it's not tea at all. It's more like a citrusy wassail. When we introduced it to my brotger's wife, she started calling it "Winter Fusion" and the name stuck.


We always have a huge pile of treats at our house from wonderful friends and family during the holidays. I have to admit that even I, with my impressive sweet tooth, can't get through it all. SO, we set about to create something edible, but also something you don't have to eat NOW.


Ben worked out the instructions, we mixed the spices, and we packaged them up all pretty so you won't mind them sitting on your counter in the mean time.


A couple of small notes.


#1- the can of OJ mentioned in the directions is a can of concentrate. Don't make up the oj first or your wassail will be really watery.

#2- if anyone wants directions for a smaller batch, like enough for 2-4 people, let me know. We usually make the big batch, drink what we want, and refridgerate the rest for heating up later, but if you don't have the fridge space, I have directions for a smaller batch.


Mel"

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mel - It smells HEAVENLY!! I'm going to bring this with to my family party, and mix some up there!! I can't wait!!

Molly said...

Mel - How did you know that this was EXACTLY what I needed? My sister just put me in charge of bringing a fun drink for Christmas EVE and....tada!!...this arrived. I'm wondering if it would be possible to booze it up a bit, though? My family likes their cocktails with a kick ;). I love it. Thank you.

Lisa said...

Sounds lovely, Mel! I can't wait for my Mel package to arrive! :)

Dawn said...

It smells soooo good, like Christmas should smell.

Thanks, Mel.

Lindsey said...

I WANT SOME! I love Mormons, and I love wassail, so this sounds like just the right thing for me! LOL

Stefanie said...

Lindz comment just cracked me up! I ♥ that she ♥s Mormons! :)

I can't wait to get mine either -- this sounds SO delicious!!

2Bugaboos said...

I've always wanted to try wassail, and now I can! Thanks, Mel! The jar looks so pretty sitting on my window sill above my sink :) I'd love to get direction to make a smaller batch, too.

P.S. Molly's comment cracked me up, LOL.

Melanie said...

I think I speak for all of us, Lindz, when I say we love you right back. :)

And Molly, I'm clearly clueless on the kind of alcohol that would work best in it. . . but keep in mind that it leans toward citrus and not apple. . . if that helps.

I will post the recipe for the smaller batch on the recipe thread when Ben gets home. It's in his phone.

I'm glad you ladies like it, and if any of you don't have it still by the time I get back from vacation, I have some spares. I'll send them along.

Beth said...

Can you spare a...RECIPE????? I'll gladly pay the chef a fee, but this just sounds too yummy...it's giving me a case of team envy!!

Hey, that ALL rhymed!

You girls definitely ROCKED the yummies this year. Yummy flavored lip balms, gourmet bon bons and now this!!

I'm already thinking of yummy things for next year's swap!!

(and as an aside, my "word verification" word is "audahess"...kinda wierd, no? Any family members named Auda, Mel?)

Lisa said...

Sounds fantastic Mel! I'll let you know when you get back! :)

Megan said...

Thank you so much, Mel! There's nothing I like better in winter than a hot and tasty beverage. I can't wait to make this on Christmas Eve!

Melanie said...

Small batch... 1 tsp of spices. Boil in 2/3 c of water for 10 minutes. Add it to 2.5 cups water and 2 cups of mixed oj. And 2/3 cup sugar and juice from one lemon.