Friday, December 18, 2009

And on the twelth day of Christmas, Amelia sent to us....Red Team

I was totally panicking about what to do that would be worthy of all of you when Anna swooped in and saved the day. Something small, cute, light-weight, and seemed straightforward. And a little reflection of me. I had actually considered making a bookmark, maybe knit or crochet. But the idea of knitting/crocheting 13 of them seemed daunting so I abandoned the idea. When Anna sent me this link it was like a light-bulb went off! Brilliant! I like to read, and seems like a lot of you do, too. I also thought it might be really good to use in a cookbook to mark a recipe you want to try.

I used the tutorial Anna sent me with a couple of minor modifications. Somewhere someone mentioned that, beyond being cute, one could use the X on either the right or left page so you would know on which page you left off. I thought this was brilliant because I spend 99.9% of my reading time before I fall asleep trying to figure out where I was. But the way she had it, the X would be sideways on the left side. So, I put it in the center. I think it's a little cuter the original way, but this works too. I also used a white shirt box from a department store instead of a cereal box because I didn't like how the cardboard showed through. To stream-line things used an extra triangle as a template to transfer the X to each bookmark. I tried to match colors with what you liked without buying 13 different things of embroidery thread.

A picture of Amelia's COOOOOOL Bookmark from Lindsey.
Thanks Lindsey!!!


13 comments:

McLeodx5 said...

Amelia, this is AWESOME!!! What a clever idea!!! Gavin has already "borrowed" it, since "he's reading a chapter book right now, and I am not." ;) Thank you so so much!!!

Lindsey said...

LOVE this. Such a cool idea and so you, Amelia. That is all.

mflott said...

Amelia, I LOVE this! So cute! Your stitching is so pretty! Looking forward to using it!

Stefanie said...

What an awesome idea! I love it! No more dog-earred pages!!

mel said...

That is so smart! Though it would have to be cookbooks for me because that seems to be all I read these days.

Hollie said...

Amelia, I know everyone else has already said this, but this is such a neat idea. I am constantly losing my bookmarks and now I won't have to worry about it anymore :) You are so creative. Thank you!!!

Misty said...

Amelia, Thank you so much! I can't wait to jump into a book so I can use this bookmark! It is so pretty, and creative. I just love it!

Beth said...

Oh. My. GOSH! Amelia!!!!! You have no idea how PERFECT this gift is for me! Just the other day, I ripped through my bedroom in a rage of clutter-itis and pared down my nightstand book stack to the ones I want to actually FINISH in 2010. And just LAST NIGHT, I opened up the top one and couldn't for the life of me find the page I'd left off on! I was going bananas, rereading the same silly paragraph that I've read FOUR times already because I fall asleep before I have a chance to fold the corner down!

I love it, Love It, LOVE IT!!!

Amelia said...

yay! phew :) this was so flipping fun! my head is spinning.

Kristina said...

Amelia, how clever!! Mine will be used in my cook book, as it does not currently have a marker. Thank you so much!

Molly said...

I'm definitely bookmarking these for stocking stuffers next year. I love them!

orngpikkle said...

Um love it Amelia. Love the genius of it. Adored your personal note. I took a picture of it on my couch because you chose the perfect color for me. Perfect.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/10083423@N02/4197127413/in/set-72157622829536941/

Megan said...

What a fun, fabulous gift, Amelia! I love your attention to detail - and oh so useful!