Monday, December 7, 2009

Green Team--Day #1


Every year, I have such a hard time with Xmas gift. I want to give something that is cute, trendy, creative--but I can't get past the USEFUL and PRACTICAL side of gift giving.

So when I came across the tutorials in my Craft of the Day e-mail from Martha Stewart, I knew I had a winner--something cute AND practical!

Star shaped peppermint soap




A cross between these two tutorials:
Striped Soaps and Heart-shaped Soap

I improvised the soap tutorial and made only two layers and used a star shaped cookie cutter to cut the soap. Some people had commented that they had problems getting the layers to stick together. So, for the first batch, I scored the soap AND sprayed it with rubbing alcohol. (I won't go into the shenanigans we had to get into to get the soap OUT of the pan for that first batch). The second batch, I FORGOT to score or spray with alcohol....and the layers still didn't separate (and I used aluminum foil to line the pan so the soap popped out MUCH easier....).

(PS -- I melted down the scraps of soap and poured it into a silicon ice cube tray -- heart shapes -- the pink hearts popped out SO easily -- I totally think this is the way to go!!)

Peppermint lip balm: (although I didn't really follow the tutorial because I found a pre-made kit to use!)



The lip balm was REALLY easy to do, and I think it turned out OK. I'd like to tweak the recipe a bit to include Shea butter and Vitamin E next time.

And, while I used Aveda essential oils to scent both products, I think using an actual peppermint essential oil (nearly impossible for me to find!!) would have produced a bit more of a scent.

I plan to play around and tweak both recipes with the leftovers I've got at home.



Enjoy! And don't forget to pamper yourself this Xmax season!!

--From Stef

25 comments:

Steph said...

SteF - I love your gifts!! Both Evan and I have some severely chapped lips right now, and both of us are wearing your lip balm. I love the way that it smells. Your soap is too pretty to unwrap just yet, but it is going in my newly remodeled guest bathroom in just a few days. Thanks so much!!! What a treat!!

StePH

Melanie said...

That's the problem I'm having!! I can't unwrap the pretty star!

Such great ideas Stef! I'm so excited to keep the lip balm in my purse. The desert winter is getting to my lips BIG TIME, and it will be a life saver!

Thank you!

Anna said...

Ta da! Pictures. Thanks Jen!!

Stef--I love this. So cute and tiny. But I may never unwrap the soap.

AllisonDacia said...

Wow, what a great idea. I love the lip balm idea!

AllisonDacia said...

Wow, what a great idea. I love the lip balm idea!

Lindsey said...

I'm way jealous! I love lip balm!!!

Great idea Stef!

mflott said...

Very creative! Love it!

Stefanie said...

If anyone burns through their lip balm quickly, let me know -- I have LOTS more -- in the plastic twist up tubes as well. My son is obsessed with "sapsick" and loves to play with it -- I love that it is all natural ingredients, so if he eats a little (and who DOESN'T) it won't hurt him! :)

Emily S. said...

LOVE the photos, Jen... Nice DOF!

and YAY Stef! What a way to start out your swap! Cool cool cool!!! :) :)

Unknown said...

Love it Stef, although I have a problem with not licking the lip balm off my lips when it smells so yummy!!!

Thank you!!!

Anonymous said...

Loving my chapstick already!! I'm keeping it in my robe pocket so Alex can't get into it! HAHA And I obviously unwrapped the soap, and it smells even better when it is open! I will be using mine, though, since Matt too a big bite out of it JUST after I took the pic!!

Sarah said...

Stef, I think I'll have to try to make the lip balm for sure! And that soap...you can't use it, it's too pretty! Great job!

Dawn said...

Stef--

Thanks so much, I love the lip balm and the soap smells so good. When I opened it I got a great scent of peppermint.

Dawn

Misty said...

I can see this swap is going to be hard! I want my teams gifts and your teams gifts too!

What a great idea! We all love "sapsick" too, although we say it "taptick! Great job Stef!

fourminicks said...

SOO cool.... love this idea. I think the soap is too pretty to actually USE, but I will be using the lip balm asap!!! Thank you so much. Love it!

Beth said...

Oh those pictures make me want to be on both teams!! Fabulous ideas Stef! Adn gorgeous pics Jen!

McLeodx5 said...

awesome awesome job, stef! i LOVE the lip balm idea!!! THUMBS UP!!! :)

Amelia said...

Stef, brilliant! Holiday+cute+useful+pampering! I love the lip balm idea!!! And the soaps are sooo cute!!! Jealous, kind of, I like my clutch too ;)

Megan said...

HOW did you know? I love the lip balm (put some on instantly!) and the soap is so pretty. You definitely accomplished pretty and hip and useful with both items. Thanks so much for the wonderful gifties.

2Bugaboos said...

How did you know I had a *thing* for lip balm and ALL things peppermint, Stef? This gift is absolutely PERFECT for me! Thank you, thank you!

Merry Xmax :)

- Judie

mel said...

Stef~I'm like Megan and put the sapstick on immediately, too. Then I wondered if it was indeed chapstick, but decided it was and even if I wasn't I was going to use it that way. It smells soo good! We had another round of Twinkle Star when Miss N found the soap...
THANK YOU!

Lisa said...

Stef- I love the gifts!! They are great! I am definitely using the lip balm. Having a hard time unwrapping the soap! Great start, ladies!

Beth said...

LOVE it!!! Nice job Stef!!!

Molly said...

Stef - I love every bit of this gift. Pure genius! Thank you so much for all of it.

Lyn said...

What a fun gift! Love the peppermint smell. I don't know if I can bring myself to use the soap though....it's too pretty.

And Jen - I spy something familiar in those photos. :)