A message from Dawn....
The first thing I thought after I signed up for the swap was, "Oh crap!" No really I was trying to think of something that would not only be small, but something fun and usable all year around. My thoughts kept coming back to jewelry.
In order to save money and make the item fairly inexpensive I looked into my garage-o-crap to come up with something. I was going to do something beaded but with a little one around that could only mean the potential for one giant mess. I came up with the enameled pendants because I already had most of the supplies and I knew it was something nobody else would do.
The plus to doing the enameling was also to get me in practice so I could make some to sell at my friends store and also in my empty etsy store. So you all were my guinea pigs.
Guinea pigs that I love and look forward to sitting down with my coffee everyday to chat. Even if the chatting is done through wires and stuff it doesn't make it any less important to me.
I hope you all enjoy your necklaces and think good thoughts when wearing them.
Love,
Dawn OTF"
Very cool Dawn... my guinea pig services are open any time you want to try jewelry!
Here's a picture from Lindsey. Thanks Lindsey!
18 comments:
Wow Dawn, those are Beautiful!
Dawn, how very cool is this??? I love that you made a different one for everyone. I am of course completely stymied as to HOW you made them! And I'm assuming you specialed up the little tins they came in...
As usual, I'm just bowled over by your talent. Thank you so much!
Dawn, These are GORGEOUS!!! I am so in love! You never cease to amaze me with your talents, and I can't wait for you to put these in your store! Thanks for the time and love that went into these!!
Such a cute tin! When I opened the package I thought you had made mints by the sound inside, but boy was I surprised! So much better than mints!! Thanks again!!
Wow, those are unbelievably stunning! Great job, Dawn!!!!
Dawn, your words this morning were the sweetest treat! Because I'm sitting here with my coffee thinking how RIGHT you are! I love my necklace, and it's so much more special knowing who it came from and how you made it. I can't wait to wear it today and am ready for the onslaught of compliments I'm going to get!!! Thank you!! :)
I thought I left my comment on here already - oh well! Dawn, I just LOVE it! Seriously beautiful! I can't wait to wear it!
Those are beautiful, Dawn! I'd love to hear how you made them.
Dawn, I love my necklace :) The blue and purple match so many things in my closet. You are so talented and I too want to hear how you made them.
love it dawn!! add me to the list of people who would love to know how you made these!!! i can't wait to wear mine. :)
Holy COW, Dawn! Those are beautiful!
Gorgeous...and stunning and beautiful. That is all.
I am so glad that you all like your necklaces. After I had them all made I tried to match them up to you guys the best I could.
As far as how I made them I will try to explain.
Basically enameling is melting powered glass on metal. I chose copper because it is the cheapest and most forgiving. You sift the powered glass onto the metal and then put it in a kiln to melt it. You have to do various layers of colors and patterns to get the effect you want. After each time it comes out of the kiln you have to clean and polish all of the firescale off before you sift more color on and put it back in the kiln.
It is actually a pretty quick process because each time you put it in the kiln to melt the glass it takes less than 2 minutes. You just have to watch it so it doesn't burn. Different colors melt quicker than others.
Boring enough explanation? I tried to find a tutorial to link but I couldn't find a good on.
Dawn- These are beautiful! I can't wait to see them in your store!
W.O.W. Dawn. That is all.
OMG, I love how unique each one is! I'm so excited to wear mine tomorrow because it's Ellie's xmax party so I'll really get to show it off :) I want to say more but I can't think right now. I love it :) Mine in particular.
...and the TINS! I love my tin! It's like two awesome gifts in one! Mine is so different from the one posted but so perfect for me! Dawn, you are amazing.
I'm sorry that I'm so late commenting on this!! Dawn, I love mine! You did an excellent job, these are so beautiful!! I'm still wishing for the day that you bottle up a little bit of your craftiness and send it to me. You've got my address now! :o)
These are so amazing! Wow!
Post a Comment