Wednesday, December 9, 2009

On the 3rd day of Christmas... Team Red

Team Red brings us a LOVELY present from the very dear to our heart, Emily.
Here is a message from her...



"When it came time to decide on something small, cute, and meaningful to make as my swappie, I knew nearly right away what I wanted to do. I have been sporting the "flower head" for nearly a year now, and I have had reports from various ELW'ers of being inspired to try out the headband/flower head look for themselves, nearly always with glowing reviews. It was a PERFECT idea. A match made in heaven. Why not give my girls, the ones who make me smile every day, a little bit of "Emily" back?


 

So... I began the quest for the perfect flowers to make for you girls. I first got excited when I saw this Etsy store:

Monkey and Squirrel and her gorgeous stretchy headbands, like this and this. I read that she had "hand singed" the fabric, and I got REALLY intrigued. So I Googled. a LOT. I bookmarked. A LOT. And found these other sites for inspiration:
 EcoKaren: Fabric Flower Tutorial

La-Sha: Fabric Flowers: Here's How!

MaximumRabbit Designs: I've Been Crafting!






Among a zillion other versions, types and styles of fabric flowers. After exploring, reading, and absorbing, I was ready to work. I made each of the flowers with the recipient in mind, both in color and in style. If you got a BIG one, I figured you were wild enough to give it a try. If you got a more demure one, I figured you liked to be a bit more subtle in your flower-wearing. And sometimes, I threw in two opposites, just to give you options.


Oh yeah-- once I got down to making the things, they were so much EASIER than I had anticipated that I felt sheepish giving so little. So I decided you each needed TWO. Then I decided, why not make them interchangeable? So instead of gluing the flowers to the headband, I put an alligator clip on each of them, so you can switch them out, add them to your shirt lapel, whatever floats you boat!


And don't even get me started on the packaging. I found these perfect boxes to put them in, and I couldn't help myself. I had to get them. So you get a pretty little box to go with your flowers!
 Here's the deal: it takes a bit of courage to rock the flower in your hair. I know-- the first time I did it, I was kind of terrified. But... each time I do it now, it is a like a boost of instant confidence and VERVE, and I love that feeling. I know one day I'll look back at the "flower head years" and laugh at myself... I know it'll be hopelessly outdated and lame to recall... But. For now, it is sassy, stylish, and a bit off the beaten path. So go--- rock the flower in your hair. Channel a bit of the "zaynee" in you... 'Cause I know you got it. Go flaunt it! :)

(Love ALL of you... so much! And all you GREENIES too.)
 
Em"
 
Wow Em... so sweet.
  Time for picture sharing!
Here's Eliana wearing her "Emily Original!" Thanks Michelle!!

Here's Beth's Molly too!
So cute!

{the unmarked pictures above are also from Beth... thanks Beth!}
Here are some Lindsay pics.  Thanks Lindsay!!!


So cute!

Here's Miss Misty wearing her "Emily Original"!  Isn't she adorable?!?

22 comments:

Emily S. said...

Um, could the ELW kids BE any cuter?

Hi, Eliana! You look LOVELY! And Molly?? Such a darling pose/expression/hairstyle/everything. LOVE you!

:)

Beth said...

Em... as the first commenter... I want to say..

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! They were just what I needed to add to my accessory wardrobe!

I LOVE them!

mflott said...

Thank you, Em! They are just perfect and in my favorite colors no less! When I opened the box, Eliana immediately wanted to "wear it!" I'll have to make sure I get a chance to wear it too! Really, it's lovely and I like the idea of having them on clips so I can interchange them! Perfect!

AllisonDacia said...

Wow, I am totally blown away. Great job Emily!

Lindsey said...

I don't think you could've picked a more authentic Emily craft to gift. I actually got a little choked up over the idea that you were excited about sharing something that is so YOU. I feel very special to have a part of your signature style for my very own!

Love it.

Steph said...

I totally agree. This gift IS Emily, and it is just beautiful and creative and fun! What a fantastic prezzie! Love them!

Anonymous said...

Em - how awesome!! I'll be looking at the tutorials, and making some for Alex - and maybe for me... ;)

McLeodx5 said...

umm...LOVE. this gift is PERFECT! thank you soo much Em! i've been rockin' flowers in my hair ala Emily for a couple of months now and LOVE that i now have authentic Emily flowers! LOVE LOVE LOVE. i can't say that enough!! :)

Megan said...

Seriously?!?!?! They are gorgeous, Em! I love the alligator clip idea - with those you could also stick on on a ponytail holder if it's one of those days...And do you have a source for the headband portion? AMAZING!

Stefanie said...

You never cease to amaze me with the crafties that you just pull out of your you know what.

Those are DARLING! And so YOU! Way to ROCK it!

Molly said...

Wow....just wow. Those are beautiful. And the amount of time and love that clearly went into each and every little flower. Fantastic job, Em.

Amelia said...

I'm so excited to have one - no TWO of these! I'm wearing one right now, I don't know if I'm wearing it right but I'm wearing it! Pete didn't totally laugh at me, he did ask if I was going to wear it out of the house though. And I did, and not just to my office to sit in my cave, I wore to the Dr. office and out to lunch too! I'm sassy.

Beth said...

Em. You just have NO IDEA. How I have had an organza version of these singed flowers bookmarked FOREVER. How when the swap came up it was the FIRST craft I thought of because I loved them so very much (and WHY did I love them? Well because they made me think of you of course! :)

And then I looked at the original 12 days blog and saw something similar there and started to lose my confidence. And when BBeth posted her gorgey flower necklace I totally caved. It was the universe telling me that this was not MY craft to make. But oh how I longed for them!

And now I know WHY!!!! Because all along a little angel was making them for ME! Imbuing her inner bohemian child into the very fabric. I am blessed. And thankful. And oh so very happy!

If the swap ended today, I would be totally satisfied. The fact that we still have ten days to go makes my knees wobble with giddyness!

Sarah said...

Oh Emily, they are gorgeous and perfect and totally YOU!!! It was the first thing I did this morning while waiting for my coffee to be made. I just had to open that box, and that wrapping?! Beautiful! Of course, my girls get just as excited as I do and they both tried them on. Thank you so much!

Lyn said...

Cannot. Stand. The. CUTENESS!!!!

Amelia said...

thanks for posting that pic misty! I switched up how I was wearing mine and now it looks super cute! Even makes my bad haircut look good.

Misty said...

Emily, Thank you for the time and love you put into these. They are so you and totally ROCK! I love mine and plan to wear'em everyday!

x vInTaGe VioLeT x said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
x vInTaGe VioLeT x said...

hi - i love your flowers and thank-you for linking my blog - i've now combined yo-yo's buttons and singed flowers for a more lush and stacked look!
suffolk puff and singed flower brooch

Lisa said...

Em- They are so beautiful! What a thoughtful and creative gift! :) I'm super jealous!

2Bugaboos said...

OMG, everything about this headband is perfection! I love it and am also uber jealous. :)
- Judie

orngpikkle said...

I made a gushing wonderful beautiful comment and it went poof!

Love it Em. Such a wonderful perfect gift. I was happy with the awesome polka dot box. I will rock my flower head with pride.